Monday, February 4, 2008

Chapter 8

Exhaustion overwhelmed her. It had been a long day. She had wanted to stay with Kyle but visiting hours were over and she wasn’t family. Kyle had yet to say anything of value and deep down that frustrated Ashley. Even though it was almost an impossibility to develop trust with a child in a matter of moments, Ashley had still hoped to swoop in and save the day. Kyle had certainly been traumatized and he had plenty of secrets. The key was getting him to trust her enough and trust took time.
Glancing around her hotel room, Ashley thought it reminded her of her apartment, small and faceless. No one would know anyone was there except for the suitcase in the corner. Ashley rinsed her face off in the sink, changed into the only pair of pajamas she brought along and crawled under the sheets. Ashley’s eyes closed slowly and didn’t open again until the sun cracked through the dark curtains. Checking the clock, she noticed it was after nine in the morning.
She bolted out of bed. How had the phone not rung? She hadn’t talked to Nate in well over twelve hours. What if he knew something about the case? Why hadn’t he called? Ashley fumbled for her cell phone and made an attempt to check the call log but the battery was dead. Had Nate tried to call her and failed?
Ashley dug through her bag and found her charger. Plugging it into her phone she searched for Nate’s cell number and dialed.
“Ashley, where have you been?” Nate asked.
“I’m sorry, I’m at the hotel. I stayed with Kyle till late last night and then took a taxi to the hotel. My cell battery was dead, sorry.”
“I tried calling all night. I should have called the hotel,” Nate paused as though summoning courage. “Did you get anything from Kyle?”
“Not yet. I’m sorry, Nate, I am trying but it’s only been six days since he saw his mom murdered and his sister kidnapped. He’s not ready to trust me yet.” The feelings of failure flooded back again. She had to save Kyle. She just had to.
“How are you doing?”
“I’m fine.” Ashley changed the subject. “Do you have anything new? Anything on the girl?”
“It seems that she was strangled. And there’s something else.”
“What?”
“Our techs found tire tracks on the side of the road where Daisy was found.”
“It’s a road. How is that significant?” Ashley glanced at herself in the bathroom mirror. Her hair was out of place, she smoothed it into place. She needed a shower. She couldn’t be seen in public like this.
“They’re skid marks. It’s obvious the driver left the scene in a hurry. Maybe you were right, Ashley. Maybe the girl was running from someone.”
The image of Daisy running crossed her mind again. Her eyes wide as she looked over her shoulder. Tears streamed down her face. He was coming. He was going to get her. Just like he got her mom.
Ashley shook her head, it was too much. “What does that prove?”
“Not a lot but if we can get the make and model of the vehicle that left the tire tracks then it’s possible we may have a lead as to who was with Daisy last. I’m sorry I laughed at you yesterday.”
“It’s fine. Nate, how long was Daisy missing before you found her?”
“Seven weeks.”
“Was there sign of sexual assault?” Silence on the other end and Ashley had her answer. “How bad?”
“It wasn’t good.”
“Do you think it’s a child molester? Maybe he’s picking up girls, keeping them for a time and then dumping them,” Ashley said.
“It’s crossed our mind. He’s had the second girl, Emma for just over five weeks, Jessica for almost three weeks and now Kayla for not quite one. That’s a lot of girls to keep under control.”
“Nate, I’m afraid you may be looking for more bodies…”
“No, we can’t think like that Ashley. Daisy had only been dead for two days when we found her. That means she had been alive for most of the time she was missing. Maybe it was an accident.”
“Nate, if you don’t think you’re looking for bodies then you’re looking for more than one person. There’s no way that one guy would kidnap all these girls and keep them alive. He would take them one at a time, use them until he was tired and then discard them. There has to be something more.”
“I agree, Ashley, I do, but right now I need to find the one guy who possibly drove the one car that Daisy possibly ran from. That’s a lot.”
“Right. I’ll keep my theories to myself,” Ashley said. “What would you like from me today? More time with Kyle?”
“Yes, I think that would be best,” Nate replied. He was quiet again and Ashley didn’t know what to think. There seemed to be a large amount of tension between them that she couldn’t put her finger on. Nate cleared his throat, and then asked, “Do you need a ride to the hospital?”
“No, it’s fine. I’ll take a cab there and call you when I’m done. Maybe you can give me a ride home.” Ashley didn’t know why she wanted to see Nate but a large part of her did. She wanted to be near him but not yet. Waiting a few hours would give her some time to think.
“Then I’ll see you later.”
“Thank you, Nate.” Ashley closed her phone and stared at it. What was it about Nate that drew her to him? Why did she want to be around him and yet not? The strangeness of her life was frustrating. Back home with Trish things made sense. Even with the constant reminder of Donnie and Aidan’s death life made sense. Here in Florida nothing made sense. She had to get something from Kyle and quickly or she’d be stuck here in this limbo for longer than she thought she could take.
The phone rang again in her hands and she almost dropped it. Flipping it open without looking at the caller ID she said, “Nate?”
“No, it’s Michael. I’m sorry, were you expecting it to be Nate?” Michael’s soft laugh gave her relief. But why should she care what Michael thought?
“No, it’s fine. I’m sorry, I was just talking to Nate, and I thought he was calling me back. What’s up?” Ashley couldn’t help but notice how her voice rushed.
“I was heading over to the hospital to see Kyle and was wondering if you’d like me to pick you up on the way?”
“Sure, I just need to get ready and grab something to eat…”
“Don’t worry about food; I’ll take you to breakfast. Maybe we can sneak some pancakes into Kyle. I think he would love that.”
“Okay, sure. That sounds great.” Ashley closed her phone on the second man that morning and wondered what she was getting into. Nate and Michael? This just couldn’t be happening.

Thirty minutes later, Ashley was climbing into Michael’s BMW. She has showered and dressed into a beige pant suit with blue top. Her leopard print heels added a slight flair to her outfit. Her hair was once again pinned neatly in a bun at the back of her head and she fiddled with the blond strands that fell out.
“You look nice.” Michael glanced her way and she could feel herself blushing.
“Thank you.” Was she glad he noticed? Was she hoping he would?
“What do you think of Kyle?”
“He seems like a great kid. I’m sure you must be proud of him.” Ashley was thankful to have the conversation turn from her looks.
“He is a good kid. A little shy but I know he tries. Sometimes I’m hard on him, but it’s just because I love him and want him to grow up to do something great. Kayla. Wow. Kayla’s an amazing girl. She helps Kyle all the time and never once complains. Two minutes apart they were. Gina was a trooper carrying them to almost 40 weeks and then pushing them out. Naturally, didn’t even get an epidural.”
Ashley remained silent. She was a trained listener and even though Michael was an adult it didn’t mean he needed to be listened to. Ashley took the chance to watch Michael and couldn’t help but notice his perfectly chiseled chin. She wondered if he was born that way or if it was a professional job. His hair had certainly had some help, no one could possibly keep their hair in place that well but at least it looked natural.
“Here’s the place. Not a great breakfast but better then most.” Michael pulled his BMW into a small diner and Ashley opened her door and climbed out. Her heel didn’t find footing on firm ground but slipped into a small puddle. She grabbed the passenger seat and the open door for support. Michael was behind her in a moment. His strong arms wrapped around her waist and she didn’t resist his touch.
“Are you okay?” Michael asked.
“I’m fine, I’m sorry. I must have slipped.” Ashley pulled herself up and smoothed out her jacket. Her heels were fine but the bottoms of her pants were wet. What was with her and getting out of cars lately? Not the best way to make an impression.
Michael hadn’t let go of her back and Ashley found it both odd and sweet. His wife had just died and he was holding another woman? But, then again, he wasn’t really holding her, just catching her clumsy self. She decided to cut the man some slack and attempt to enjoy breakfast.
Michael let her go and he and Ashley carefully walked into the diner. With almost no patrons they were seated immediately in a booth in the corner. The waitress came and took their drink orders. They both ordered coffees. Ashley knew they would both need the caffeine to get through the day.
“So, why here?” Ashley asked.
“They make a great breakfast and it’s never too crowded. I’m certainly not a celebrity but I get recognized from time to time and right now I’d like to avoid any extra attention.”
Ashley wondered if he meant about her or because of his current life in general. She changed the subject. “How long have you lived in Florida?”
“Almost all my life. Gina and I met here and she loves the warm weather so we stayed. Went to undergrad and law school here so when I got a job with the district attorney’s office I decided to stay. I moved up pretty quickly and got elected for the first time two years ago. Gina was very proud of me. The kids too. I can’t believe she’s gone.”
Should she reach out and touch him? She understood his grief but she wasn’t doing very well with her own, how could she possibly help him? “I’m so sorry.” Lame words. The same ones were said to her over and over again and now that was all she had to say. No, she could say more, “I understand how you feel.”
“How can anyone understand how I feel?” Michael’s remark came across cold. Ashley searched his face for signs that he didn’t mean it but came up empty.
Every part of her screamed for her not to say a word about Donnie and Aidan but when she looked at Michael again she found his cold look replaced by his pain. She dove in, “I shared this with Kyle earlier so I’m sure that at some point he would tell you but eleven years ago my husband and son were murdered. In my driveway while I was inside cooking. Donnie was dead right away but Aidan lived a little while longer…”
“I’m sorry, Ashley, I had no idea.” Michael reached across the table and took Ashley’s hand. The waitress chose that moment to return and Ashley quickly removed her hand from Michael’s. They each put in their order and the waitress left to fill it.
“I don’t like to talk about it.”
“Did they ever catch who did it?”
“Yes, he’s in prison here in Florida.” That was mostly true. “I used to live here but after it happened I had to go. So I went back to school in Maryland. Got my Masters and went to work. I’ve been working ever since. That’s how I get through. Bury myself in my work. I don’t recommend it though. It leaves you with no life.”
“I have Kyle to look after so maybe I’ll bury myself in him. Well, not in him but with him.”
“That would be better.” Ashley took a sip of her coffee. Their waitress delivered their breakfast and they ate in relative silence. How much was there left to say?
“Do you think you’ll be able to get Kyle to tell you anything?” Michael asked as they exited the diner.
“It’s hard to say. He’s been through a lot but I hope that he’ll come to trust me and open up. I’m here until we find something. I saw Daisy and all I can think is how many more are there?”

1 comment:

Tripletblessed said...

Michael sounds squirly! Looking forward to the next one as usual.