Monday, August 4, 2008

Chapter 34

Ashley held the phone to her ear as she wiped the sweat off her forehead. Her hair clung to the back of the neck. Her once flat ironed hair now hung in wet tendrils. At least part of it, the other part was a wavy mess which is why she showered and flat ironed every day.
She listened to Nate’s conversation with Eric discussing what Ashley already knew. Kayla was sitting in a hole waiting. What Ashley couldn’t understand was what she was waiting for and why the other girls weren’t also waiting. Instead she could feel their pain as much greater then Kayla’s.
The dream had been so vivid. Even the smell of sweat and urine overwhelmed her. As she looked around the room she saw just two mattresses lying next to opposite walls, a girl sat on either mattress but she could only make out Kayla. She didn’t know who the other girl was. She did know to avoid the corner to the left of the door. That was where the strongest smell was coming from. Had these girls not even been given a toilet? A strange green color covered the whole room. No other light or color was visible.
When a faceless man dropped food off on a tray neither girl made a movement towards the door. Both girls just sat still in their places except for the constant rocking. Neither girl spoke. Instead they just stared at the door awaiting whatever horrors lie beyond it.
Ashley had woken then.
Just like in the movies, she had sat straight up in her bed, her body covered in her own sweat, the smell no different then in her dream. She had called Nate then. Sure she expected him to call her crazy. She expected him not to believe her and he had done those things. What did surprise her is that she found exactly what she was talking about just moments later.
“Ashley, how did you know?” Nate’s voice cut through her thoughts.
“What do you see?” Ashley avoided his question.
“I think I see what you saw.”
“Why is it green?” Ashley was not letting Nate get off without answering her questions.
“We think it’s a night vision camera. This is probably real time and with no light in the room the camera is seeing in the dark. We’ll have to wait until the sun comes up to see if any light gets into the room.”
“Have the girls moved?”
“They’re alive, Ash…”
“But have they moved? All I could see was their rocking and they seemed terrified. Have they moved from the corner?”
Nate’s voice changed. It was now full of concern for the girls as well as for her, “No, Ash, they haven’t moved yet.”
“Has anyone come for them? Has the door opened?”
“No. No one has entered the room.”
“Someone will,” Ashley said but before Nate could say anything she asked, “Who is the second girl?”
“What do you mean?”
“I know Kayla is in there but which other girl is in there? I couldn’t tell.”
“I believe its Julia. No sign of Lizzie but we aren’t sure if her case is actually related to the other two. It could be a completely separate case.”
“Do you believe…” Ashley’s voice trailed off as she heard footsteps down the hallway.
“Ash? Ashley are you there?”
“Shh,” Ashley kept her voice as low as possible and tiptoed across the bedroom’s hardwood floor. Donnie’s shirt and shorts clung to her as she moved. She pulled the clothes tighter around her as though a shield from whatever may lie ahead of her. Had someone found her? Was it just Michael checking on Kyle?
“Don’t touch her!” Michael’s voice drifted through the door.
Silence. He was obviously talking to someone on the phone and waiting for some kind of reply.
“Don’t you dare lay a hand on her. I paid you and you will do as I say.” Loud footsteps walked past Ashley’s room and then returned. Was Michael looking for something? Was it something in Kayla’s room?
“I told you I would take care of everything and I will. I have everything under control. Ashley won’t be a problem. Neither will the FBI. Just trust me.” The words and footsteps ended abruptly. The light footfall outside her door.
As quickly and quietly as she could she made her way back to her bed and jumped under the covers. Realizing that Nate had not cut their connection she slid the phone underneath her pillow. If anything happened to her Nate could at least know what was going on.
A soft knock came from the door.
Ashley didn’t answer. Instead she lay as though she were sleeping because she should be. She shouldn’t be haunted by dreams. Well, she’d always been haunted by dreams but those dreams contained visions of Donnie and Aidan. Of the three of them as a family still living together in sunny Florida. Aidan was bigger now and looking so much like his father.
Instead she lay there in Donnie’s clothes wishing the man knocking on the door beyond was Donnie and not Michael. But reality meant it was Michael knocking and when she watched his form step through her door she knew it wasn’t Donnie. Donnie had always been shorter and stockier then most men. But while he complained of his frame, Ashley loved it. Loved that his bulk came from working hard to care for her and she never minded the few pounds he put on while she was pregnant with Aidan. Sympathy pains. She liked that.
“Ashley?” Michael called softly as he walked across the wood floor. A squeak let Ashley know he was just inches from the bed. “I thought I heard you up in here. Are you okay?”
Ashley rolled over and feigned sleep. She rubbed her eyes and stretched her arms. “I’m sorry, what?”
“I thought I heard you up.”
“Oh, I went to the bathroom a while ago but I must have fallen back asleep.” Ashley pushed herself up to a reclined position careful to not crush her cell phone under her pillow. “Did you need something?”
“I just got a frustrating call.”
Ashley glanced at the clock, it read 6 AM. “At this time of the morning.”
“Yea, but as they say, crime never sleeps so neither can I.”
“What’s on your agenda today then?” Ashley pulled the covers up to her chin aware of her ratty clothes. When Donnie had first died the smell of him was still in his clothes but since then washing and wearing had taken even the faintest hint of him of away. And now large holes were forming in the worn fabric. Twelve years had taken its toll. On her and the clothes. As she looked at Michael she wondered if she could ever find it in herself to love another man. To wear another’s man’s shirt.
“I have three cases on my docket. I’m hoping they all plead out. If so then I can work on getting my daughter back.” Michael sat on the edge of Ashley’s bed. He laid his arm on her leg through the blanket. She fought the urge to pull her leg away.
“Any word on that?” Ashley asked as innocently as she could. She hoped Michael didn’t notice the quiver in her voice or her beating heart. If he knew she had overheard him what would he do?
“No. But you would know better then I wouldn’t you?” He raised his dark eyebrow and looked at her. Did he know?
“What do you mean?” Control the shaking, girl.
“Don’t you talk to Nate on a regular basis?”
There was no hiding that. “Yes, I guess I do.”
“And has our great FBI agent discovered anything that might save my daughter?” His hand squeezed her leg. How much to tell?
“It’s possible but you’d have to talk to him. He doesn’t tell me much.”
“Aahh, yes, he seems to keep us all out of the loop.” Michael looked at her for what seemed like an eternity then he glanced at the door. “What about Kyle? I know Nate brought you here to talk to him. Has he given you anything useful?”
“You already know Kyle has been a great help. But he’s been through so much I don’t know how much he remembers or feels comfortable sharing.” Ashley made a point of avoiding any of her conversation with Kyle from earlier.
“Aren’t you like a child-talker or something? No child-whisperer? I thought you could get anything out of any kid.” Michael’s smirk made her skin crawl.
“You’ve been talking too much to Nate. I do talk to and counsel children but they don’t always just open up and spill every secret in a week’s time. Quite often I have a number of sessions in my office before I can make a determination on the child’s placement.” Ashley sat up straighter. At least she was in familiar testimony. “Normally I don’t interview child witnesses. At least not those who have witnessed crimes. I talk to children who have been in abusive situations or those involved in custody cases. After I talk with them I make recommendations to the court as to which parent is a better suited custodian.”
“But the courts generally listen to you?” Michael seemed truly interested in her career.
“Yes. Even young children have a good idea of what is going on around them and which parent they would be more comfortable with.”
“What about when you know something is going on with a child but they don’t tell you. What do you do then?”
Now it was Ashley’s turn to raise her eyebrow at Michael. Was he getting at something? Was he worried about losing Kyle or was he thinking about Kayla testifying in the future? “My opinion isn’t the only one the court takes into account. If it’s clear a child has been abused even if they haven’t shared that information with me the courts will still remove the child from their home. It’s a very complicated process. I’m only a small part.”
“And why did Nate bring you into this case?” Michael asked.
“We’re old college friends. We went to school together for years. I’ve consulted with the FBI on only a few other cases and nothing as high profile as this so I can’t honestly say why Nate brought me in. If he’s looking for a miracle it isn’t me.”
“I think you’re doing a great job. Kyle likes you a lot and that’s saying something. He’s a pretty shy kid.” Michael moved his hand from Ashley’s leg to her hand and no matter how hard she tried she couldn’t keep the heat out of her face. “I bet Kayla will like you too…” Michael paused, sighed and added, “When she comes home.”
Ashley only nodded her reply. Did he know Kayla was still alive or was he just a loving father hoping against hope that the worst wouldn’t happen? Either way Ashley was determined to find out and find the girls that were haunting her dreams.

1 comment:

a portland granny said...

I am just chomping at the bit for more. I have never read a mystery so slowly!! I usually fiinsh in a couple of hours, so this is really stretching me!

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Joan